About Me             Recovery             Jared             Anthony

Friday, June 26, 2009

Progress at PT

Yesterday was a productive day at PT - they really worked me out, I was exhausted by the time the two hours was up.

I started out on the FES bike. They hook up these different wires to my legs that basically shock my muscles to get them to fire to pedal the bike. It's pretty cool as I'm sitting there watching my legs doing all this work, riding the bike, though I can't feel it at all. The stimulation can be anywhere from 0-100%, and once they got up to about 30% my legs just took off - the PT wasn't able to slow them down to the pace she wanted them to go, because my legs were ready to work! She said this is a good sign that my muscles are in good shape, and that the neuro connection is still there. Some people can get 100% stim and still never pedal because that connection is lost.

Next I went to the standing machine and did my cardio workout there. It was tougher than ususal because I'd just done the cardio on the bike, and already had the blood pumping through my legs. So I was having some blood pressure issues and had to take it easy there.

I finished the workout with time on the mat, where my instructor taught me how to get on all fours (hands and knees). Try doing that without the use of your legs - the things we never think about! When I was on all fours I would go into the cat position (arched back, stomach tucked in, tailbone tucked in). I do pretty well with my core because that has been coming back over the last several months, and yesterday I was able to tuck my tail under, which requires me to use my glutes. I could only hold it for 3 seconds or so, but that means that my glutes are coming back!

Overall it was an exciting day of PT and I was thrilled with my progress. When Jared picked me up I was so proud to show him how I could get up on all fours and tuck my tail - I'm like a five year old kid now!

2 comments:

The Brooks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hs said...

That is great!!! I love hearing all about your progress!