About Me             Recovery             Jared             Anthony

Thursday, June 11, 2009

New PT

Next week I start PT at Pushing Boundaries.

http://www.pushing-boundaries.com/

Pushing Boundaries is "controversial" according to my doctor, because there is no scientific research that it works/doesn't work. My PT at the U, Whitney, thought I should give it a try, however. PB focuses on exercising my legs using electric stim bikes, weight bearing treadmills, etc. It makes perfect sense - if you don't use something for three months, do you really expect it to work perfectly again? Hopefully my legs will start to remember some of the patterns and movements and start the nerves sending signals. 26% of their clients are walking on their own now.

Visiting the place gave me a lot of hope for my recovery. It's so hard sometimes to keep the hope when from one day to the next I'm not seeing huge changes, but I have to remember that this is going to be a long process, and it's not likely I'll just wake up one morning with the ability to walk again. Though God certainly has the power and will to do that, and man would that be nice!

PB is a pretty intense program, and it's going to take a lot of physical work on my part. It's also a big time committment for my friends and family who are going to help by driving me there and watching Anthony. But I know it will be worth it when I start to take steps on my own again.

3 comments:

The Ames Family said...

Yay!!! I'm so excited for you!

Hs said...

Seems like you found yourself a great facility to help you through this! Keep us posted!

e said...

i think it's worth a try. it can only help. let us know how you like it.