About Me             Recovery             Jared             Anthony

Friday, January 1, 2010

About Me

It's been over a year since my injury and I am still working hard to regain function. I try my best to keep a positive attitude at all times. It's not always easy, but I have a strong faith to rely on. I believe that when Jesus Christ died for my sins he also redeemed me from all sickness and disease. I believe that I will walk again in this life time. And I hope that it's really, really soon.

On March 18, 2009 I walked into the hospital to give birth to my first son. I haven't walked again since that day. After Anthony was born on March 19th I couldn't feel or move my legs. Over the next 24 hours I went through many different tests (x-rays, EMG, MRI, evoked potential, etc.) and the doctors found a tumor pressing up against my spinal cord. It had likely been growing for 5-7 years. The day after my son was born I went through emergency surgery to remove the tumor, and I spent the next month in the hospital recovering from surgery and learning how to live in a wheelchair. It was certainly not how I imagined the first month as a new mom would go. I was able to see Anthony every day when my husband, Jared, would bring him in to visit me in the evenings.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Beka! I didn't know you had a blog let alone that you had suffered a spinal injury. I know it was some time ago now, but I am interested to follow along on your blog and see how you are doing. Your little boy is gorgeous. I hope you are doing well.

 Lindsay Living

AfroTina said...

What a shocking story. I look forward to hearing more