About Me             Recovery             Jared             Anthony

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Doctor's Appointment

Yesterday I met with Dr. Reyes, my spinal cord rehab doctor. Last time I saw her was when I was inpatient at the UW, so I was excited to see her again and tell her about the things that have changed with me. As expected, she didn't have anything new to say about my prognosis. She said the reason they have such a hard time with my particular situation is that they rarely see someone with a spinal cord tumor. Most spinal cord injuries are some sort of accident and they can do a better job at predicting how someone with an accident will recover. But because the tumor was pressing on my spine for so long they don't know what to expect.

I did discover while I was there that I have problems with tendons in my right wrist. My wrist has been hurting for just over a week. Apparently it's a pretty commong problem with new moms. They said if I weren't in a wheelchair they'd put me in a splint, but because my hands are everything for me right now they can't do that. So instead I'm getting a more flexible brace and ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation. If that doesn't help I'll go back in for a cortisone shot.

Next week I meet with Dr. Balousek, the neurosurgeon who removed my tumor, and he'll send me for an MRI to see how my spine looks now.

No comments: