About Me             Recovery             Jared             Anthony

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

An Interesting Proposition

Today was a lot of fun. Jared only worked a 1/2 day at work so that he could take Anthony and I to Anthony's 6-month doctors appointment. After the doctor we went to happy hour (on our back deck). It is so fun to be able to spend time with Jared where we don't have to worry about anything else - he is so great at making me laugh.

I LOVE happy hour, though I haven't been able to participate in a very long time, being pregnant and then in the hospital for so long. It was great to enjoy something that used to be a normal part of our lives. There is nothing like having a beer and some snacks after a long day of work (or in my case, housewife). It's hard to actually go to happy hour (do they let babies in the bar?) so I decided we'd have it at home. Today was a beautiful day and we enjoyed nachos and beer on the deck.

A couple of beers in, Jared suggests we get rid of cable completely. Right now we only have basic cable (about 13 channels). He bribes me by saying I can get a new laptop if we get rid of cable (something I have been asking for for many months now). Very tempting offer. And there is nothing good that comes out of TV - we obviously don't want Anthony watching any. I'm afraid getting rid of cable will make us those weird people who never watch TV, and I certainly don't want Anthony to be made fun of at school (about 5 years from now). But I like the idea, as TV is such a time waster. I'm leaning towards getting rid of it. There aren't many shows that are really great, and everything is available online now. Sounds like I've already made my decision - new laptop gets here in a week! ;)

Weigh in with your opinion please!

9 comments:

Robert Salnick said...

What is this cable thing you speak of?

(I guess we're those weird people...)

bob

Dadgummit said...

Kill your TV!!!

Yeah, we are weird too. Tina and I often wonder how we would ever have time to watch TV since we are so busy without it.

Colby said...

I thought you liked the old laptop...

Colby said...

We hardly have time to watch TV but there are a few shows that I enjoy. I couldn't part with it completely.

The Ames Family said...

I am a TV addict, but that's beside the point. Our cable is paid through our Home Owners, so even if I wanted to get rid of it, I couldn't! LOL! As for the future...Maddie didn't watch TV at all until she was close to 2, maybe 1 1/2. It's no biggie for you now, but there WILL come a day when Sesame Street or Mickey Mouse is a necessity for your sanity (TRUST ME). I wouldn't close the door completely for the future, but that's just me.

e said...

I think that's great that you are able to give up cable. I have gotten addicted to watching NCIS and Mad Men, and don't think I could do without it.

Unknown said...

Cable is good. Leave me with TLC and a 5-year-old laptop and I'm happy.

Vicki Parramore said...

Funny. We just got rid of our cable and I've mostly forgotten about it. I feel a little bad for Bill who won't be able to watch Sports Center . . . but he hasn't mentioned it.

Anardi Family said...

Beka, I am kind of late posting my message but here it is. Just turn the tv off or only watch from 8-10pm or something to that effect. That way at least have it when you want it. Plus, when Anthony is annoying the hell out of you and you're trying to get crap done around the house you'll need a TV. trust me.