About Me             Recovery             Jared             Anthony

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Rehab Update

One week down! I met with all of my therapists and doctors yesterday, and they have set my discharge date for April 15th. That's only two more weeks and then I'll get to be home with Jared and Anthony. I miss my husband and son so much and am glad they can at least visit every evening. My therapists are impressed with my progress so far. I am learning how to dress myself all over again; it's hard to put pants on when your legs don't move! I'm also learning how to transfer myself back and forth from my wheelchair, and by the time I get out of here I'll be able to do that on my own. The goal is for me to be completely independent by the time I get out of here so that until my legs regain function I am able to do things on my own.

The doctors won't say if or when I'll regain function. My body is in spinal shock right now and has basically shut down so that it can heal itself. It's possible my situation is similar to that of a stroke victim where the neurons directly around the tumor may be permanently damaged, but the other neurons are just temporarily damaged and need a little time to heal. Please pray that it is a fast process! Also, play that my blood pressure stays at the right level. It's been dropping, so I have to wear special wraps on my legs and a binder on my stomach to keep it up. I don't want to go home with all of this special gear, I'd like my blood pressure to be able to regulate itself.

I am feeling good about the progress that I am making while I am here and I'm making the best of this situation. Thank God I am alive!

5 comments:

Sean and Angie Battle said...

My heart aches for you guys, but I know you're going to get through this unscathed! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Beka,

I am so sorry that you are going through this. This is a tragic circumstance. It looks as though you are handling yourself with dignity and poise and for that you are a hero. Take care and enjoy your motherhood!

Congratulations!

e said...

beka, thanks for the update. it looks like you are coping with this difficult turn of events with grace. we care about you and want you to do well!

Matt said...

Your little guy is so special and adorable! Congratulations on a beautiful son. We wish all the best for you Beka and keep you and Jared in our thoughts every day. ~M and T

Amanda said...

Beka,

I am so sorry to hear about this. You are in my prayers. You're baby boy is absolutely adorable-Congratulations!

-Amanda