About Me             Recovery             Jared             Anthony

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Continued Progress

Well things aren't exactly progressing as quickly as I had hoped or expected, but at least they are still progressing. The sensation/feeling in my left leg is getting much better, and the doctors have told me that typically sensation returns before function, with the caveat that each person is so different and they really have no idea what's going to happen. Please pray that my right leg will catch up quickly! My right leg is the leg that I had problems with for a year and a half before they found the tumor, so the nerves on that side are likely more damaged than on the left.

I can no longer ride the ERGYS bike at PB because of the increased sensation in the left leg. The ERGYS is the bike that shocks my muscles to get them riding - it's only my muscles powering the bike based on the electrical stim they are getting. If we turn down the electrical stim to a level low enough for me to tolerate the pain, it's not enough power to get my legs moving properly. Now I'll switch to riding the RTI which provides some electrical stim and also has a motor to move the pedals. The electrical stim on the RTI is at much lower levels, much like the stim unit that I use at home. This is great news, because no normal person can ride the ERGYS bike, so I'm moving up I guess!

Today I am one day closer to walking again!

4 comments:

The Ames Family said...

Hang in there, kiddo! You're doing GREAT!!!

e said...

that's great, beka! those nerves are connecting up again!

Anardi Family said...

We are so proud of you!

Robert Salnick said...

Beka, you've come a long way in 6 short months - Keep it coming!