About Me             Recovery             Jared             Anthony

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rehab Update

Well this week started out badly for me - I was frustrated and discouraged and just sick of doing all of this. As I told Jared, I wished I could just lay in bed and wait for this to all go away. Sometimes it just seems so hard to do anything. But that obviously isn't my typical attitude, I'm certainly stubborn and a fighter and it's not like me to want to give up. Today, towards the end of the week, I'm feeling much better. I feel encouraged and excited - this is certainly changing my life, and hopefully other people's as well. This entire experience is unbelievable - that's the word I think of every time I want to describe it. Unbelievable. I'm 27, went in to the hospital to have a baby, and came out paralyzed (temporarily of course!).

Yesterday I took another strong dose of hypericum, the homeopathic remedy, and am hoping that it continues to speed up the healing process. I have been noticing changes in my hips/butt, like I'm starting to feel when I'm up against something or when I'm in a weird position. Hopefully that means I'll be regaining control of my hips/butt again soon - one more thing to check off the list. Yesterday I discussed my prognosis with my PT, and she said that basically no one knows what to expect because it's an unusual situation, and that they need to just watch and see what happens. I'll be meeting with my spinal cord rehab doctor next week, and am excited to share with her the things that have changed in the last 1.5 months. Last time she saw me I didn't have control of my abs, and I'm hoping she'll have positive feedback. Though I certainly won't hold my breath....;) I can't imagine being a pessimistic person in a situation like this, because I certainly don't hear many positive things from the doctors. I thank God that He has given me a joyful spirit!

Today I am overwhelmed with thanks for all of the wonderful things that I have in my life. Jared and I are just so blessed. Our son is an angel - sleeping well and so happy when he is awake. My husband is dare I say perfect. He is a hard worker so Anthony and I don't have to worry about anything. And Jared has been great at keeping me laughing throughout this process. He still looks at me like he did on our wedding day, making me feel like I'm not even in a wheelchair and showing me his unconditional love. When you say in health and in sickness, you certainly don't imagine something like this will happen 9 months into your marriage! We have wonderful friends and family who support us, bring us meals, take me to PT, visit me when I'm alone during the day, and pray for us constantly. I have everything I could possibly want in life, and for that I am forever grateful to Jesus who has blessed me so.

5 comments:

e said...

beka, thanks for sharing your updates. it breaks my heart that you have to encounter this adversity. i admire your resilience. you have handled this life situation much more gracefully than i imagine i would. you are right, jared is a great guy! he will be strong for you now, as you will be for him in the future.

Robert Salnick said...

YOU GO BEKA!

Your positive attitude makes me feel petty. As "e" said, you are amazing.

Hoping for continued progress and good news from the spine doc.

bob

Robert Salnick said...

Well, OK, "e" didn't say that. But you are still amazing!

Anonymous said...

Oh I just love you Beka! ~Kari

Anonymous said...

Beka,
I am soo proud of you (and your perfect husband)! The way you have handled this shows a lot about your character.