About Me             Recovery             Jared             Anthony

Friday, December 3, 2010

The Vision is Still On!

I don't often talk about my health much any more - here or in "real" life. This isn't because I've given up hope or because I have accepted my current circumstances.

It's really because:

1) no one wants to hear about other people's health problems.

2) I am fully confident that this is not permanent and I'll be up and walking again. I have resolved in my mind and my life that this is something that I am going through, not something I am stuck in forever. I don't spend time thinking about my current paralyzation (is that even a word??); instead I focus on the other wonderful blessings that are in my life and the promises that God has given me in the Bible.

So if you have questions about how I'm doing, you can always feel free to ask, though I don't have much new information to share. But do know that I am still very hopeful, very optimistic about what is to come. And until then I am doing what I hope is my best to have a normal life and give Jared and Anthony a normal life.

I feel so much pressure from people, society, to "accept" that I'm paralyzed and that I'll be this way forever, and to move on with my life. To those people I'd suggest that they become paralyzed and then see how they feel about "accepting" their situation. One must always remain hopeful, for when you give up hope, you have given up everything.

As I've made new friends at the women's Bible study I've been asked questions like "how do you shower?" and "how do you drive?" and it's then that I realize that there is so much I haven't shared with you, my friends. Please feel free to ask me any questions at all about "how" I do things now....before this happened to me I would have never known how someone in a wheelchair showered, other than imagining them getting hosed off in their chair outside. Which is certainly not how we do things in this house!

3 comments:

The Ames Family said...

LOL!!! I can just see you out there in your bikini and Jared hosing you off :) We love you guys and are so amazed by your strength and perserverence. Never give up! There is ALWAYS hope!!! We will continue to pray for you all.

Colby said...

I'm so glad to hear it Beka. Keep the hope alive!

Anonymous said...

you are an inspiration...... thank you for being so transparent.