About Me             Recovery             Jared             Anthony

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Another Update

Had PT at the UW today, and was talking with my physical therapist. Whitney was excited to hear that my adductors are firing because that is typically the next step in the recovery process. Toes first, adductors next. She had not told me this before because they don't want to get my hopes up. Next step in the process would be my quads - it would be so fabulous to have control of such a large muscle, I'd certainly be able to be more active when I have the quads back!


The adductors are controlled by L1/L2 in the spine. Right now the muscle is firing but it's not strong enough to cause any movement. This is typical. Whitney said there are five levels of strength, 0 being no firing at all, 1 being firing/twitching of the muscle, and continuing up from there. So my adductors are at a 1 right now. Much better than a zero!

Many of you have heard me mention that since I was prayed for by Pastor Ryan on July 11th my muscle spasms have been out of control. To therapists and doctors this typically means some sort of infection in the body - it's my body's way of telling me something is wrong since I can't feel the problem. However, I have no other signs of infection (fever, etc.) and the increased spasms have continued for weeks now. Whitney tells me today (why don't these people give out this info sooner??) that as a person regains function they'll typically have increased spasms. This is because the muscles are getting stronger and the nerve connection to the muscles is getting stronger, and the legs are trying to do what I'm telling them to, just aren't quite there yet. She even said today "ever since you got prayed for your legs have been spasming alot." Glad she recognizes it too!

I have finally convinced Whitney that I'll be walking again, and she talks that way now. Sentences start with "when you are walking again...." It takes a lot of work to convince doctors and therapists to say anything other than "we don't know if you'll walk again...." and now she is willing to do more weight bearing activity with me instead of teaching me how to get in/out of a wheelchair. I expect my progress to really speed up in the next few weeks - I'll be walking in no time!

5 comments:

Colby said...

All of this is such great news. I'm so excited for you! I had fun with you and Anthony today!

The Brooks said...

Positive prayer and positive thinking go a long way!

Robert Salnick said...

what a positive and encouraging report!

Jody said...

what exciting news- We are so excited to see your progress in person in a few weeks-

Debbie said...

I know your mom is going to call me and say "Guess who is walking"?... Have you thought about how you are going to word this in Anthony's baby book. You have always fought for being First Place.